This effort will focus on bringing a collective effort to exploring the connections and alignment opportunities between our COVID response and recovery and climate actions that can and should be advanced as part of that effort. The decisions made within our governments will have a huge impact on determining our success on advancing our low carbon transformation. How can we work collectively to be able to advance climate actions that will also be able to help us manage and recover from COVID impacts and risks?
This powerpoint presentation will serve as a starting point to document the discussions and resources associated with this effort. Please provide any input to other suggestions for how we track and advance this work. Additional input and resources to add, please, please, pretty please to email@example.com
The recording of the initial webinar is available here.
The hoped for outcomes of this effort include (but are not limited to):
- Ensuring that a sustainability/climate lens is applied to municipal COVID Response and Recovery Plans;
- Supporting and enabling municipalities to apply a sustainability/climate lens to their municipal COVID Response and Recovery Plans; and
- Gaining support from municipal councils to communicate to other levels of government on a Post COVID Economic Strategy that advances climate efforts.
Based on feedback thus far CAP will facilitate the collective efforts to explore different priority action areas included (but not limited to):
- Public Transit
- Road Space Reallocation to enable Physical Distancing Requirements
- Green Space Use and Allocations
- Active and Micro Mobility Opportunities
- Mitigation and Resilience Building Retrofits and Economic and Labour Benefits
- Food Security, Urban Agriculture and Community Garden Efforts
- COVID and Climate Adaptation Alignment
- Zero Waste and Waste Management
- Addressing COVID Recovery efforts that undermine climate goals
There will be webinars/discussions that will be occurring in each of the above areas starting with:
- COVID and Climate Powerpoint Messaging and Resources Input and Green Space: During COVID, Opening Up and How Increased Appreciation of Green Spaces post COVID may be able to garner support for Green Space Improvements Discussion: 10 am Thursday April 23rd: Registration Link
- Road Space Reallocation: Leading Practices, Strategies, Pros and Cons, Unintended Consequences Discussion: 10 am Thursday April 30th, 2020: Registration Link
- Active and Micro Mobility Opportunities: Leading Practices, Strategies, Pros and Cons, Unintended Consequences Discussion: 10 am Thursday, May 7th, 2020: Registration Link
- Telecommuting: Leading Practices, Strategies, Pros and Cons, Unintended Consequences Discussion: 10 am Thursday, May 14th, 2020: Registration Link
- Food Security, Urban Agriculture and Community Garden Efforts: Leading Practices, Strategies, Pros and Cons, Unintended Consequences Discussion: Thursday May 21st, 2020: Registration Link
- More to come… just want to review strategy and experiences from above meetings to see what makes sense and would be of most value to municipalities.